Friday 4 October 2013

The Challenge Has Started - 2 Down 68 To Go

I felt extremely honoured when Kathy Ling asked me if I could help her put together a blog and fundraising page for her to record details of her latest challenge. On September 26th Kathy celebrated her 70th birthday and went on a weekend break to Switzerland with her husband John, this was however no ordinary mini-break as Kathy ran in a 5K and a 10K road race whilst there, these races were events 1 and 2 of the 70 organised, timed running events that she plans to complete in the year of her being 70. 

Kathy is an amazing inspirational woman who was one of the first people to welcome me when I joined Wrekin Road Runners in 2006. She is a stalwart of Wrekin Road Runners and I would hazard a guess and suggest that she has probably represented the club in more races than any other member. Her schedule would make people more than half her age feel tired. If you want to know more about Kathy's amazing story so far read her profile on the Wrekin Road Runners website

Throughout the year of her 70@Seventy challenge Kathy will be fundraising for MacMillan Cancer Support I have set up a just giving page for her and ask you donate whatever you can afford to this great charity, every penny raised makes a real difference, please tell your friends about this incredible challenge and share the links to the blog and just giving page. 

After each event Kathy will be sending me reports and pictures that will make up her blog, please check back regularly to find out where she has been and what she has been doing. There is bound to be plenty of humour and dare I say champagne too hic hic.

Good luck Kathy

Stralugano [Switzerland] 5k &10k 28th/29th September 2013

John and I flew to Zurick, then changed to a small turbo prop plane flying through and over the top of the Swiss Alps through clouds, making it bit exciting and scary, landing at a little airport with a short runway, I had my feet nearly through the floor.

Our hotel was a new one and sound proof with all the latest gadgets,after we booked in we were asked to pay a tourist tax of 20 swiss francs.

Saturday was a lovely warm sunshine day,we made our way down to the old city where I found the booking hall, picked up my number and loads of goodies including a  waistcoat and a bag. There were lots of different food to try out in the next building. To register for the 5k which was to take part in the evening, I filled the form in, gave it to the young girl and on  reading it she gave me a strange look and asked was  the birth date right? I said yes and then she said "Will you be alright doing the 5k?"  I said well I'll have a go, I collected my T Shirt and goodies and went away muttering to myself.

Kathy with the Event Mascot

Saturday night the weather became very humid. At 8.15 we did some Zumba and at 8.30pm the 5k started in the big square leaving John to have light refreshments.  Everyone seemed to pass me at great speed but when I reached 3/4 of a mile they were walking. I just kept to my speed and passed them when all of a sudden this American women came up to me and asked if she could run with me,she said to her friend  "We'll catch this little old lady up in case she needs any company." I said I don't mind thinking she'll be gone as they do, but no she stuck to me like bluetack giving me the third degree asking how old I was,am I married, had I got any children etc etc. I tried speeding up to get rid of her but no such luck. Anyway I finished the 5k with a PB,  she was still shouting  and ranting  when just before the finish John gave me the club's flag and a great cheer went up.  Once over the line I was asked to wait because I had won a prize.  After about 45 minutes I was called to go up on the stage, well with my little legs there was no chance, even the very young ones were having to be helped. Once on the stage I was presented with a cup and asked questions in different languages so I then made use of my american friend. 

 Kathy and her American Friend Finishing the 5K
Kathy on Stage being presented with her prize

Time was getting late and I needed something to eat and drink and to prepare myself for the 10k next day. Next morning it was heavy rain and dustbin bags were the order of the day. At 10am the 30k races started and 10.45am the 10k started, the rain was easing off and the sun was trying to come out. Because I had pushed myself the night before I was wandering how I would be but once the gun went off I was quite happy to get going. It was  two laps along the Lugano lake and round the lovely old back streets,  in spite of the dull weather it was well supported and at the finish there was a great atmosphere.  Towards the end the Kenyans  came past me as if they were out for a jog.  The man on the mike shouted "Come on Kathy from the Wreckers in England", John gave me the club's flag and I was very pleased with my time of 1h.14m but then there was complete chaos.  I was grabbed by four reporters asking me many questions, I didn't know what they were on about as there were so many different languages, luckily Nadia the race director came to my rescue and was asking how I felt,how old I was, why are you doing it etc. and now what am I  going to do?  I said I am off to get some champagne!  We were given a lovely bright yellow towel and refreshments which were very nice, after a hour we made our way back to the hotel and my results were sent to my mobile.
Nadia said I am officially a Swiss oddball as there was no females over 55 years and would I go back next year?  
 Well into the 2nd Lap of the 10K
Post race refreshments

To me it was a brilliant experience to start my 70 races, 2 down and 68 to go
Times 5k 34 minutes 10 k 1:14

Kathy Ling

Event 1      StraLugano 5K     28/09/2013
Event 2      StraLugano 10K   29/09/2013

2 comments:

  1. Your blog made me smile :-) Always like seeing you at events in and around Shropshire Kathy. Good start to you 70 runs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to meet you in Bournemouth today Kathy. You are a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete