Thursday 10 October 2013

Oh I Do Like to Run Beside the Seaside

It's only week two of Kathy Lings 70 at Seventy Challenge and she has already completed five events. She makes me feel exhausted I have no idea where all her energy comes from maybe the secret in the bubbly, at this rate she will complete the challenge by Easter. If you feel inspired by Kathy's journey please share this blog and tell your friends about her, she has already received the first donation to her Just Giving page and has been, please if can spare a few pence or pounds sponsor Kathy as she continues to complete another 65 events and help her raise money for MacMillan Cancer Support.


I forgot to mention the wonderful banner made for Kathy by Wrekin Road Runner Linda Edmondson. Linda presented Kathy with the Banner made by sewing race medal ribbons onto a white piece of material on her birthday in Chester. I have a feeling that this banner is going to be seen at many of Kathy's 70 events it makes it first appearances in a couple of the photographs from Bournemouth below. So here is an account of Kathy's latest adventure.
 
John and I went down to Bournemouth by National Express coach as it is very cheap with our bus cards, when we arrived it was already warming  up even with the clouds. Our hotel was on the sea front, our daughter and son-in-law had treated us to three nights in a hotel for both our 70th birthdays.

On Saturday  5th October we made our way to the Bournemouth town park for the 5k parkrun.
This was a bit of a shock as we started the run in the middle of a very lumpy field, it was very uneven with its lumps and bumps, we then went through an uneven forest, not forgetting the hills only to find out we had to do it again. I did not want this sort of running as I was hoping to keep my little legs for later then I thought  I am here so get on with it, we are spoilt at Telford.
 Start of Bournemouth parkrun
Kathy on the parkrun with I think Jo
Afterwards John and I made our way back to the hotel and got organised for the next event which was the 10k. At 4pm the weather was beginning to get a bit warmer and there was great excitement while waiting for the start. We ran along the sea front to Boscombe  pier then back, still on the sea front then on to Bournemouth pier. There was no shelter from the sun and no breeze, the crowd were great making the atmosphere brilliant, I finished feeling quite happy.
Kathy and David with her banner (who is David? she didn't mention him)

A nice picture of the pier in Bournemouth
A fantastic picture of Kathy on the 10K run

Back to the hotel to rest a little and get changed again ready for 5k at 7pm, this we did again along the sea shore, although it was getting dark, it was lovely watching the golden sun setting , we were all given light up arm bands.On our return we could hear the cheering from the crowd, it made me feel on a real high, I was not last either. We were given excellent goodie bags for both races, lovely T Shirts and medals like manhole covers. 
Kathy about to finish the 5K race
Kathy draped in her banner after three races in one day

When I got over the finishing line I was asked to go back and give a interview about what our club was like, I said simply the best, we then went back to the hotel which was only 5 minutes walk, got changed and had a go at Bournemouth night life. 

Sunday started off with bright blue skies and the temperature was already 24, after breakfast we strolled down to the finish and watched the winner of the 1/2 marathon come in, a local lad won it. At 10 am the marathon started, it was hard work for them because the weather was again 28 and no breeze. We cheered and clapped and shouted for marathon runners, I was waiting for my friend Jo to come in. It made a change to be cheering on the runners.

Event 1      StraLugano 5K     28/09/2013
Event 2      StraLugano 10K   29/09/2013
Event 3      Bournemouth parkrun   39.48    05/10/2013
Event 4      Supersonic 10k (Bournemouth)   1:22:00    05/10/2013
Event 5      Speed of light 5k  (Bournemouth)    0:46:15   05/10/2013

http://www.justgiving.com/70atSeventy4MacMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment