Wednesday 30 October 2013

The Battle of Portaloo or Great South Run 2013

Over 25,000 took part in the race, we were aware of the stormy weather coming in so the marquee had been taken down, also the  flags even the starting bridge had been lowered. I kept my jacket and dustbin bag on as the wind was so cold and we slower runners had to wait till 11.15 before we could start.  






At last we were off, I and many others had to be very careful owing to the amount of dustbin bags and rubbish flying around and under our feet,for the first 1 mile I found myself being buffeted around by the wind. Other runners were having the same problem after, the first mile runners had spread out a bit, making it easier to get into my rhythm. 






As we approached the docks the wind still met us in the face. when I reached mile 4 I had to do a pit stop and trying to get out of the portaloo was not easy because the lock was stuck I had to do a lot of shoving and pushing. Eventually I managed to escape, now I had to really get going to catch up with the runner I had been with in the first place.



On reaching the first water station the wind was whipping up anything light e.g. empty water bottles and wrappings . At 
mile 5 the wind was now getting serious I just had to get my head down,  for once my short stumpy body was doing me a favour. It did not matter which corner or street you ran the wind was in your face as we met the faster runners most of them seem to be struggling against the wind. 

After mile 7 and into the 8th the wind had gathered momentum and I and many others just had to walk and run whenever we could  but no way was I giving in. With two steps forward and one back I just hung in there thinking I will finish this race.I have never seen so many casualties and runners just dropping out on the side of the road.


At 200 metres to go I saw John waiting for me with the banner and I was so pleased to see the finishing line,this was one of the hardest races I have ever done even the Kenyans complained. I did not feel so tired after the Birmingham half as I did at this race.


My time was 2:38 and I completed 10 miles for my tenth race.

Kathy finished 10th in her age category and completed the the first 5K in 40:55 and reached the 10K point in 1:28:51. Where will Kathy be next? A but nearer to home we think. Kathy is using this challenge to complete 70 running events in her 70th year to raise money for MacMillan Cancer Support. If you would like to sponsor Kathy she is often seen at Telford parkrun where she will gladly accept donations or you can visit and donate online at her justgiving page


Event 1      StraLugano 5K     28/09/2013
Event 2      StraLugano 10K   29/09/2013
Event 3      Bournemouth parkrun   39.48    05/10/2013
Event 4      Supersonic 10k (Bournemouth)   1:22:00    05/10/2013
Event 5      Speed of light 5k  (Bournemouth)    0:46:15   05/10/2013
Event 6      Telford parkrun  38:45 12/10/2013
Event 7      The Bells of Pattingham, Seven Miles 1:49:00 13/10/2013 
Event 8      Shresbury parkrun 38:40 19/10/2013
Event 9      Birmingham Half Marathon  3:20:37  20/10/2013
Event 10    Bupa Great South Run (Portsmouth) 2:38:18

1 comment: