Thursday 24 October 2013

Ding Dong - Races 6 and 7

Kathy completed the 6th of her 70 races in her 70th year at Telford Town parkrun on Saturday 12th October 2013. Below is her account of race 7, the Bells of Pattingham a seven mile multi-terrain event that was held on 13th October in South Staffordshire.


 Kathy with Other Wrekin Road Runners before the Bells of Pattingham Race

On Sunday 13th October, I had double porridge and honey,owing to the fact that this was going to be a hard slog.With so many runners that would have gone before me and with the weather been so wet I bound PVC tape around my
trainers. Once the gun went off I thought, well here we go, I have started and will finish. Because of the conditions, I
would allow myself 2 hours. I always find the first 3/4 mile hard going,when suddenly I heard this heavy breathing coming up behind me, this man informed me that he was getting on at 60 and was a very slow runner, could he run with me? After 1.5 miles, we met the front runners coming back home [at least you get to see the winners] When we reached the hilly part, he said he would have to walk up and could I wait for him at the top as he does not like running on his own, the problem with this is it spoils my running pattern and so it went on and on, making my way through the muddy fields and lovely puddles. Halfway round he asked where were we and will we make to the end, imagine what I said to him!!!! 


At 5 1/2  miles the backup man came on his bike,and said "has he talked me to death?" The marshalls were brilliant and of good cheer to which I thank them all for waiting for me. When I got over the line I thought if I have not got under 2 hours I'll thump him. This is my 7th race and it was 7 miles [I have a thing about numbers] I tried not to get too excited about the cake. Well done to everyone who finished the race, I did think it was a hard slog. My time was 1:49 so I let him off..



Kathy after the race with fellow Wrekin Road Runner Kim Bennett
.
Event 1      StraLugano 5K     28/09/2013
Event 2      StraLugano 10K   29/09/2013
Event 3      Bournemouth parkrun   39.48    05/10/2013
Event 4      Supersonic 10k (Bournemouth)   1:22:00    05/10/2013
Event 5      Speed of light 5k  (Bournemouth)    0:46:15   05/10/2013
Event 6      Telford parkrun  38:45 12/10/2013
Event 7      The Bells of Pattingham, Seven Miles 1:49:00 13/10/2013 

http://www.justgiving.com/70atSeventy4MacMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment